Posts Tagged ‘Thermostat’

Patience is NOT my Name

Thursday, September 4th, 2014

I’m not a patient man. It is amazing that I can be a sailor; really! Sailing is different however, there are things you can do while sailing, read, think, watch the world around ya, listen to the sounds of a boat moving through the water. Sailing is mezmorizing in many respects.

Working on an engine is not mesmerizing in any respect. I have 3 of the 4 bolts out of the header tank. The 4th will not budge. It’s been 3 days now, I’ve soaked it in PB blaster, I’ve warmed it with a heat gun (being advised to not use a torch to it I didn’t), I wiggled it, I’ve pulled it, I’ve wedge both sides up from the engine pan and finally I’ve devised a clamping system that put upward pressure on the tank and pushed the bolt downward. I’ve tapped with a hammer over a 1,000 times sending small vibrations to the entire thing hoping the PB Blaster will soak in a little farther and loosen it up. Any moment would be good but alas; I observe none.

I take a Micrometer tt and measure if it has moved any. All my readings are less than 1,000th of an inch. The difference I attribute to not having the Mic in the same place and same attitude every time. It just isn’t moving.

Thinking about what my shoreside support team has said I look closer at how I might be able to cut the bolt. There is a gasket there and I think I can clear it out with a Japenese saw ( a really thin saw) that I can finagle between the header tank and the fitting.  I’m successful here and it seems I have a clear path to the bolt.  I grab my handheld hacksaw and see if I can work it in place.

I remove more stuff.  The hose that is in the way does not want to give so I take a utility knife to it. That removed I take apart the hack saw and reassemble it so the blade can reach the bolt with the back on the other side of the fitting. I have already wedged this side of the tank up hopefully giving me some extra room for the blade to cut the bolt and not the header tank nor the fitting it sits on.

I begin the task of push forward and sliding back. Hacksaws only cut in one direction and the push cuts while the slide cleans the blade. I can’t get any oil on the blade where it is at so I go slow. 100, 200 strokes; I count to ease the boredom. I feel I”m making progress but there is no way to know. The bolt is hidden and I’m only guessing. I press on.

Somewhere before a 1,000 pushes of the hack saw; oh, I lost count and started over a couple of times, the tank pops free. No more blisters and a great deal of relief sweeps over me. I sit there a moment and then tell W/ it’s out.

Thermostat Housing on Perkins 4-236

Thermostat Housing on Perkins 4-236

I remove the header tank and check the thermostat then climb out of the engine room to stretch.  I return with the camera to take pictures – need to put the new thermostat in the exact same way.  I still have two jobs left. I need to remove the stud from the header tank and remove the threaded

Stud is Still Stuck

Stud is Still Stuck

portion from the fitting on the engine. I attack the threaded portion first.

It turned with the header tank attached so I had relative confidence in the bolts removal. I first tried the cold chisel and found a little stub of the bolt sticking out. I tapped it to loosen it and after 5 minutes felt I was getting no where. On to the alternative path.

I grabbed the drill, found the easy outs (they are tapered hardened steel bits with a very coarse reverse thread that when you have a good size pilot hole you can twist – they will then bite into the bolt and thread it out), found the correct size drill bit for the project and setup to fold myself into a position I’m not use to, then attempt to drill a straight line.  As in most work on the a boat there is not enough light. I have installed two lights in the engine room but it could use for more, more specifically some spot lights. Fortunately W/ comes to the rescue.

She’s able to hold a light on the spot I’m drilling and we begin.  I drill a bit, clean and oil the piece to cool the bit and at a bit of lubricant for cutting.  Clean, oil, drill, repeat. I have to be careful; breaking a drill bit in this would cause a good size problem and I would need to then remove another piece from the engine and take it to a machine shop. I’m damn glad we didn’t start this project in the more remote islands.  Eventually I  get the hole deep enough in the bolt that the Easy Out can work it’s magic.

Easy Out with Stud Removed

Easy Out with Stud Removed

I slowly put the Easy Out in and begin to rotate it. I have a small open end wrench on the tool and it begins to bite but the bolt isn’t turning. I am very cautious here. Again; breaking the easy out in the fitting will result in much, much more work.  I stop and change tacks. I need a larger Easy Out and fortunately I have one, having needed it years ago on our other boat. I check what size pilot it needs and redrill the hole.

I insert the Easy out and twist; slowly. This time I see movement in the cut bolt. Yipee! I silently chortle.  I continue to turn slowly and the bolt continues to move. After another couple of minutes it is out. Whew!  Next I grab the tap to clean up the bolt holes. I oil the tap and run it; run is a misnomer, I slowly walk it down the bolt holes cleaning up all the rust and accumulated residue from non use. They clean up fine and I’m left with one thing to do – get the stud out of the tank. Then we’re ready to reassemble.
Go Slow
Sail Far
Stay Long

Share