Posts Tagged ‘Giant Pump’

Watermaker In and Working!

Saturday, January 25th, 2014

She’s looking good. We received the new Giant High Pressure pump last Friday and now

Not Identical

Not Identical

we’ve replaced the one that was problematic. But twas not likitty split like I had hoped. We have the same pump, well, same pump number, the pump is on the correct side of the shaft, the house for the pump is the same but the crankcase is slightly different. The foot print is the same but they’ve moved the mounting bolts a little more inside the case which using the mounting holes on the generator plate put the whole thing so close to the motor it would not fit with the mounting holes on the plate.

So I needed to mark and drill some new holes. That I did. All marked correctly, I drilled a pre hole because larger bits like to walk in metal and end up where you don’t want them. I then drilled 4 over sized holes so I have just a little play in the pump for alignment and then go to mount it; again.  Something just isn’t right.

We remove it; and this isn’t a light piece of equipment, and I investigate. Yep all my marks are right but the hole the farthest away and most difficult to get at, the one where I had a leak in the old pump where corrosion was happening on the Aluminum plate, that hole was drilled in the wrong spot.

For that hole I drilled by feel mostly, very little light there, as far from where I’m at, and I thought that I had the bit in the pilot hole when in fact I had it in a spot o’ corrosion.  DAMN!  So now I need to enlarge the hole, file to clean up and then mount the pump again.  Needless to say Dave was not a happy camper.

I had already bid this job at 2-4 hours.  W/ keeps up the pretense that I can’t seem to be on the money with my time estimates and I’m bragging that I’m getting so very close now to my estimates that she doesn’t need to counter propose any more. Well, she wins….. again.  This whole job ended up close to 7 hours with her assisting me.  And part of the time I was searching for some mounting hardware.

I never liked the way AquaMarine had the pump attached. An Aluminum housing shimmed with SS nuts, SS bolts and then stud,  nut and lock washer on the bottom. It was just a frustrating issue getting it all back together and lined up. So; I think, in Colon to purchase some longer bolts (mine from AquaMarine were just a tad too short) and then make my own studs and when I need to be working on the pump again I’ll put them in. I took them to the workshop at Shelter Bay Marina and made studs out of some metric hex bolts, cleaned up the threads and we stored them on the boat….somewhere. We just could not find them.

After searching most every locker we could think of that we stored them in; we gave up and just installed the pump the old way. Here in Panama City I’ll buy some more and make some more, but not now.

Finally, Finally, we finished for the day. Only need to fire up the generator and turn on the watermaker. We’ll run the watermaker the following day for now; just recharge the batteries and chill the freezer and icebox. Tomorrow I hope to fill our water tanks again;  Hurray!

And we run the water maker in  the am. We turn it on. I check for leaks, none. Hurray!  We begin to increase the pressure in the pressure vessel.  And she’s holding.  We were concerned. We hadn’t run the WaterMaker for a year preferring instead to adequately flush it. We flushed 3 times before we left for the states. After returning from the states we flushed it again. Went to Peru, returned for our projects and then flushed each month till the pump began leaking so badly we had to stop. So it has mostly sat for 3 months.

Now this is when the birds come to roost. I spoke with the Water Maker expert in Antigua and he said he never uses the pickling solution. Only flushes 3 consecutive times and then she properly stored for quite a bit. Never heard exactly for how long.  Our friends on New Haven follow this method and they leave their boat for 6 months at a time without any problem. We’ve followed this method  a couple of times before and it’s always been fine. But never for this long.

The result is 170 ppm of solids in the product water.  The EPA say’s anything under 750 ppm is good for drinking water.  I’m happy. W/’s happy we’re looking to check out and head to Ecuador.  Yippee!

Go Slow
Sail Far
Stay Long

Share