Throwing Money

Two steps forward; one back! Yeah, that would be nice. Some days I actually feel like it’s two steps back and one forward.  Today’s been one of those days.  We had sent the refrigeration motor off to get “refurbished”. Came back; installed everything. Motor still becomes very  hot. It did however run  better. But the motor got very, I mean, very hot, hot enough to melt the insulation off the wires. I upped the wire size to 8 AWG and reconnected the motor. Keates (our Trini refrigeration expert) asked us to wait for him before running it. We did. He checked everything out and the motor still became hot. It would run for an hour or so and I’d have to shut it down because it was approaching 200 degrees F.  Yep; close to boiling water! He contacted the rewinders and they said the motor was “good”. Funny; it still gets hot. Keates concluded it was in the brushes. He’d look for some new brushes on the island  or ones that could be adapted and I wouldn’t run it so long as to avoid heating  up and burning up the motor.  We limped along for a week or so thus. Finally, Keates thought he had some brushes that would work. He came by this am and tried and tried and we couldn’t get them to work. We ended up

Missing Motor

Missing Motor

concluding that the motor needs to be removed; again, and so we did. Upon removal of the motor we placed it on the table for examination.  We discovered that the brush housing for one side moved. The top of the housing wasn’t secure! I firmly remember the rewinders saying something about that and yet they didn’t do anything.  Shame on them.  Keites took the motor saying he would have it fixed and back to us Tuesday. Hopefully then we’ll be back in business.

Our Ground Tackle

Our Ground Tackle

While we’re figuring out the big projects we chip away at the little ones. We flipped our anchor chain end for end to even the wear. The galvanization is off of one end and I hope to get it regalvanized in Columbia. We also switched anchors and moved the XYZ to the 100′ chain, 200′ line rode and the big CQR to the all chain rode. (After more research the XYZ I’ve discovered that it likes lower scope for resetting and that’s my experience too in the first set. With too much scope out and trying to reset the anchor it will turn on it’s side and drag.  I need to have the shank lifted some for the tip to bite. Once set however it holds better then a Mac truck.)

In the mean time I was taking apart the Oberdorfer water pump that was on the Aquamarine Generator.  The front bearing (on the back of the water pump was grinding). I hoped I could shove some grease in there and stop the grind. I tried. I did get the grease shoved in there but the grinding still persisted. I tore it open to

Base Oberdorfer Pump

Base Oberdorfer Pump

find the bearings and the retaining ring working against each other.   Often in paradise there are people that have figured out how to make anything work.  But here I was out of luck.  I emailed Aquamarine and Dan suggested I eliminate the water pump and put in an electric. He’d mentioned that in his newer units that was what he was doing, so OK, I’ll do that but how do I run the refrigeration compressor?  I needed the bottom pulley.  Eventually after trying to do some of the leg work myself; I skyped Aquamarine and talked to him. He could make a new top plate for the diesel that would fit the compressor, give me two belts and a new water pump. Viola’ !  He could send it out today if I gave him the approval and that we did. So we have a fix coming our way….. Hopefully.

A month earlier we had ordered a new holding plate for the freezer. Yesterday I picked up the plate.  Instead of all 1/2″ tubing there is one set of 1/2″ and one set of 3/8″ tubing. Back to the phone (Skype) and calling Seafrost. Remember they made our original stuff and the entire system is Seafrost.  Ok; I didn’t send him everything on every part of the plate that they made that I had bought from them when we were refurbishing the boat. That may be a lesson learned. No detail is too small to report.  (Other cruising friends said they once ordered a part for replacement – with the exact part number they ordered the part, believe it or not  the company had changed the part numbers and the part they received had the correct part number but was the wrong part – go figure.) Anyway I spoke to Cleave at Seafrost and he said to let him know what fittings I needed to be able to adapt to the 3/8″ tubing and to fit the plate first in series  He would send them out Monday. I’ve emailed him the info and hopefully we’ll have everything we need to make the change somewhere down the road.

Who say’s “Throwing money at something won’t fix it!”  They’ve never been on a boat in a semi remote place trying to get everything back working again!  We’ve thrown money at these two problems. We’ll let you know what works and what doesn’t.

Go Slow
Sail Far
Stay Long

Share

Tags: , , ,

Comments are closed.