Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!

It’s time. I’ve been vacant for too long and yet things have been accomplished on Elysium. I’ll tackle most of the projects individually to save space, my fingers and the reader’s eyes. Some projects have been small and some HUGE!

One unexpected project was the forward head sink drain. We had filled the drain up with “gunk”; thats the technical term, over the years and it needed to be cleaned. Ok, no biggie; W/ wanted it cleaned and I could do it. All that was required was to remove the hose clamps and then the hose. Clean the hose and drain out, reinstall. Right!

Removing the clamps was the easy part. The hose not so much. It was boat original and had been on the drain nipple for eternity. I tried to twist it – that didn’t work. I took a slotted screw driver to it attempting to break the seal to the fitting. I’m making a little progress. I twist some more. I’m hopeful. I work with the screwdriver further around and add a heat gun to the mix. I heated the hose and worked the driver between the hose and the nipple again. Finally; I am close. I was right but not in what I was close to. I twisted and the nipple broke off. DAMN!

What looked like an hour or two job turned into a few days. The biggest issue now is that we are in the land of intelligent governments. New Zealand made a choice years ago to join the majority of the world and adopt the metric system. Our sink and drain are US imperial. DAMN!

Where there is a will there is a way. The following day; note that 2 hours has actually turned now into a full day event, W/ and I headed out to the marine / hardware stores. For sizing we took the drain but forgot that it might well have been smart to take the sink too. Breaking the drain necessitated the removal of the sink. Did I forget to mention that?

W/ ran to retrieve the sink and we cogitated on the items needed to correct the issue. Fortunately much of the plumbing world has adapted metric to imperial and we found new 38 mm hose at our local All Marine store. At Burnsco we found some of the fittings but not a sink drain we would be happy with. At Mitre 10 we found the drain but not the fittings. After purchasing what we needed at 3 different stores we were able to install the new system. But wait! Not so fast!

The drain is a wee bit larger than the sink hole. Off to our SS fabricator to see if they can enlarge the hole. The have all the tools! Another day goes by.

After two days and some extra coin we were able to install the new drain system. However, as in most any boat projects, when making changes it is best to “improve” the system.

I added a “T” to the drain with a plug on one end and the hose barb on the other. Next

New Drain with easy clean out.

New Drain with easy clean out.

time, when I’m advised, pushed, shoved, etc to clean the hose this is my plan. I will simply pull off the plug and run a brush down the hose to clean it out. Re-install the plug and viola! Clean drain. While doing this project we also purchased the needed parts for the aft head sink. If one sink drain is broken the other more than likely will go down the drain soon! Sorry I couldn’t resist.

Go Slow
Sail Far
Stay Long